It’s the end of garlic scape season and I used up the remaining crop to make a pesto.
I tried to balance the hot, spicy flavor of the scapes with the cool mouthfeel of spearmint. It turned out great and was perfect as a spread on warm sourdough or in a pasta salad that I made for the holiday weekend.
- 4 cups chopped scapes
- 1 cup nuts (I used pumpkin seeds this time)
- 6 oz shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup oil
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 4 cups packed spearmint leaves
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, blend the scapes, nuts, cheese, oil and salt until finely chopped.
- If your food processor is big enough to do all of this at once, go for it, otherwise use a rubber spatula to put the scape mixture in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Then, in the processor, add the mint leaves, lemon juice and the pinch of sugar. blend until finely chopped.
- Combine the mint and scape mixtures and stir until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.