My garden is producing heaps of black magic kale and I needed another recipe to use it up. Inspired by the dressing from this watermelon salad (it was so good!) I decided to make a slaw with a similar flavor palette using shiso, cilantro and lime. A delicious side for any summertime meal.
- 8-10 kale leaves, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/4 purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon
- 6 shiso leaves, cut chiffonade (or thin strips)
- Juice of one lime (1/4-1/3 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- In a medium sized bowl, add a pinch of salt to the chopped kale. Massage the salt into the kale to help break the cells and soften the leaves. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a small bowl combine lime juice, oil, sugar, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Use a whisk to emulsify the mixture and add one tablespoon of cilantro.
- Add the shredded carrots, cabbage, red onion and remaining cilantro to the kale. Mix to combine.
- Drizzle the dressing over the kale mixture and stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with shiso leaves.