Warm, creamy and comforting. This is a surprisingly quick meal to whip up.
- 8 oz fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 pound brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, stripped from stems
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup broth
- 1 cup cream or half&half
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Optional: 2 cups greens, such as spinach
- In a pot of boiling water, cook pasta until done to your liking. If cooked and drained prior to the sauce, stir in a teaspoon of oil or butter and coat the noodles to keep them from sticking.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat oil or butter over medium heat. Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic until tender.
- Stir in thyme and parsley until fragrant.
- Stirring constantly, sprinkle in the flour and heat until browned (about 1 minute).
- Add broth and continue stirring until thickened (another minute or two).
- Add cream and stir often until slightly thickened (another minute or two).
- Stir in the Parmesan and optional greens until the cheese is melted and the greens are wilted.
- Transfer the sauce into the pot with cooked noodles and stir to incorporate.
- Serve hot.